Thursday, July 14, 2005

Okay, now where was I...

So, I'm almost finished with my first full week at this job, and I have to say, it's been a rough week. This job is a lot more physically demanding than any job I've had in a long time, and my body is feeling every bit of it. However, I am growing accustomed to it. The long hours aren't so bad anymore, and I am getting used to the lifting and whatnot that is required for my job. All in all, things are going well.

I have to say, I have wondered why God put me there, of all places. There are so many other jobs out there, yet this one is the only one that seemed to work out in respect of my current situation.

Then, this morning, for some reason, one of the girls I work with shared a bit of her heart with me. She is dealing with a lot of things right now, and she said, "I'm not sure if I should tell you this, but...", and proceeded to share with me a lot of the pain she'd been carrying with her since she found out her husband had an affair a little over a month ago. We could only talk for a few minutes at the time throughout the day, but she seemed grateful to have someone to talk to. I invited her to join me at church, and she said she had been going to church regularly when she was in Texas, but had not found a church in this area to go to. I told her a little bit about the church I attend, and she said she wanted to visit as soon as she could work it into her schedule (cherry season is nuts...very busy).

As all of this happened, I thought...if this girl is the only reason God put me at this job, then it is worth it. The money is nice, but being able to impact a person's life beats that by a mile.

I've also been able to meet a lot of other people. I spent a bit of time this morning talking with another man from Texas, who is a migrant worker. He told me about his lifestyle...that he and his wife come up here for six months out of the year, and work enough so they don't have to work the other six months. He told me they make enough money working the harvests up here that they have enough money for rent and necessities for the rest of the year, and that is all they need. I envied his simple lifestyle.

He commented on how most people would view having such money...they make a lot of money, but they also spend a lot of money. He said that he and his wife didn't need to do that, all they need is to pay their rent and eat, and they are happy. I was amazed by the insight that simple comment contained...why do we always yearn for SO MUCH more than we need?

I am very much enjoying getting to know these people. I am glad to have them in my life, even if it is only for a few weeks.

Comments:
People. Wherever you go, they're there giving you reasons for being.
 
Speaking of people, I'm missing Stefanie's thoughts. ;)
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]