Sunday, September 10, 2006

Sunday la la

It's been a good day. I feel like I've actually accomplished something today, in that I got my laundry done, spent a lot of good one on one time with my niece, started on my Psych homework...all in all, a productive day.

I realized today that there have been some changes going on within the odyssey of Stephanie over the last few weeks.

Only a few weeks ago, it was very important to me to have my makeup on and my hair presentable before I left the house for any reason. I would not allow myself to be seen by anyone without having the protective shield of hair and makeup in place.

These days, I rarely wear makeup, and when I do, I cannot wait until the event I am wearing it to is concluded so I can go home and wash the goop off. It just feels heavy on my skin, and I don't like it. And as for my hair...well, since I practically live in a hairnet, it matters little to me how my hair looks anymore. I wash it and comb it, but gone are the days when I care enough to use the hair dryer or styling aid in an effort to make it look good.

If nothing else, I think my job has rid me of some of my vanity. The place where I work is by no means a beauty contest, and it has purged me of some of my overwhelming concern with physical appearance. Everyone looks the same in a hairnet, lab coat, and rubber gloves.

I think this shift is good. I'm not sure if others would agree, as they are the ones being greeted with my pale face and bland hair, but...I don't think it's ever a bad thing to feel more comfortable in your own skin.

My heart is doing leaps today. I think there are some people you just can't help loving, even if you know better. But do I know better? I only know that I enjoy every moment with the one who makes my heart smile, and I always walk away wishing we had more time to spend together. I know I should probably reign this in, but at the same time, some feelings are worth savoring.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]